What is on a ChexSystems Report?
The Chexsystems Report contain a variety of information used for determining qualification of a deposit account. A Chexsystems Report includes:
- If the applicant has an account closure on file
- Whether outstanding debts have been paid
- Validation of applicant’s social security information
- Validation and verification of applicant’s drivers license information
- Banks owed money by applicant (usually due to overdraft fees, ATM transactions, or automatic payments that were honored on insufficient funds)
- Multiple overdrafts within a short period of time
- Savings account, debit card or ATM abuse
- If the applicant has checks outstanding on the SCAN database (SCAN is a service used by retailers that keeps track of bank accounts and identification numbers from checks that have bounced)
- How many accounts the consumer has applied for in the past 90 days
- History of checks ordered in the past 3 years
You can view a sample of what a Chexsystems Report
looks like. It will open up in a new window: Sample Chexsystems Report
You can obtain your ChexSystems Report by mail or by Internet. The fee for your ChexSystems Report is $9.00. However most people will not pay this fee… because they meet the criteria listed below to receive a free copy of the ChexSystems Report.
To order your ChexSystems Report online you must have a major credit card… OR… meet the criteria for a free report listed below.
If you do not have a major credit card, or do not qualify for the free Chexsystems Report, then you can send a check or money order for $9.00 to ChexSystems at the address below in order to obtain a copy of your Chexsystems Report
You must include your full name, date of birth, Social Security number, and current address, former addresses from the last 5 years and copy of a utility bill, or something that indicates your current address.
If you have been declined from opening an account at a bank within 60 days you can obtain your Chexsystems Report for free.
Obviously, the only reason why most people start looking for information about Chexsystems to begin with is because they just got denied from opening a bank account.
In addition to this:
FACTA Free Annual Report
Under the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA) amendments to the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you are entitled to a free copy of your consumer report, at your request, once every 12 months.
So you can see why most people never pay for their Chexsystems report. You can easily request your report online. You must provide the name of the bank or credit union, and the exact date they declined you:ChexSystems
Attn: Consumer Relations
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
1-800-513-7125 Order Your Chexsystems Report Online
In certain states you may also be entitle to a free ChexSystems Report by mail or over the internet if you meet the following criteria:
- If you have been the subject of an adverse decision, such as denial of credit, insurance or employment within the past 60 days
- Residents of Georgia are entitled to two (request credit report by mail).
- If you are unemployed and intend to apply for unemployment in the next 60 days.
- If you are on public welfare assistance.
- If you have reason to believe your file contains inaccurate information due to fraud.